Sunday, February 8, 2009

House Concert

Lauren and I played a show last night at the Black Sheep Ranch in Clinton, CT, hosted by Andrew and Suzanne Wallach. Also playing that night was Sarah Blacker from Cambridge, MA.

I'll be honest with you, I had no idea what to expect. But coming away from the show, I have a whole new respect for well organized house concerts. There were about 30 people there, all for the single purpose of listening to the music. Because it's still cold out, we played in the living room, so it was very cozy. I actually sat on the edge of the couch while I played, so it was a lot like playing at home minus the flannel pants. We go back in July to play outside, where they say there are sometimes 50+ people filling their backyard.

Lauren sold some of her CDs, a lot of people were interested in both performers upcoming releases, signed their mailing lists, etc. Some of the guys there even noticed some of the nerdy music stuff I do when I accompany Lauren, something that doesn't usually happen. It's always kind of fun to geek out with somebody about the lack of well placed voice leading in a guitar accompaniment.

If you know of similar house concert series around you, or you live close to the Black Sheep Ranch, I suggest checking them out.

1 comment:

christopher lars carlson said...

i'm having another show in my apartment in Boston this coming Sunday (Feb 15). Performing are Marie Kim, an amazing producer, engineer, cellist, pianist, and vocalist, and Keppie Coutts
. Get in touch if you'd like to attend.