Tuesday, August 12, 2008

2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster


I just got this guitar yesterday. It's a great instrument, and from what I can tell so far, a pretty good deal even if you pay the retail price. I played the three American made versions: Highway 1, Standard, and Deluxe. The Highway 1 was a great instrument, but the Standard just felt more substantial, had a smoother feel in the volume and tone knobs, and was a bit more balanced across the strings. The Deluxe, while it felt great to play, just doesn't really sound like a Telecaster, so nevermind.

The only problem I really noticed after getting home, which would have been impossible to notice in the noisy store anyway, was a buzz on the open B and A strings. Turned out it was coming from the nut, and after a little research figured out it was a shallow angle of termination. To correct it, I took a very sharp razor blade and lightly etched out the back 2/3 of the nut, on the tuning peg side. I went in tiny, tiny increments and tuned back up several time until the problem was eliminated. I'll get this taken care of when the guitar gets set up, but for now, this is a decent fix.

You'll hear plenty of this guitar on some of my new tunes for my trio. You can really get down with this tone, and through my Bogner it's going to be dirrrtaaay.

No comments: